Monday, June 20, 2011

Cupcake Sprinkles

I surely did jump on the glitter sandwich bandwagon.
Now, I don't know who came up with this first but I've seen it floating around a few blogs and decided to try it for myself! It reminds me so much of sprinkles on a cupcake or ice cream. A lot of people compare it to Deborah Lippmann's Glitter In The Air and I honestly don't own that polish yet so I wouldn't know, but I HAVE seen photos and I'd have to slightly agree.

Sandwiching glitters between sheer layers of polish creates that same murky, or should I say, muted glitter in a jelly base(?) without having to pay $18 for a bottle of nail polish.
It helps to use sheer polish because more opaque colors would just cover up the glitter rather than letting it show through.

I ALMOST made a mjor mistake. I wanted pink nails to wear to my son's Kindergarten graduation and I didn't want it to be a baby pink. I wanted a darker pink and I found that in a bottle of Sinful Color's Soulmate.
It would have been a truly awesome color if I had known ahead of time before painting my nails that it was basically opaque in ONE coat.
I literally sat there staring at my nails for a good ten minutes wondering what I should do now.
If I started the glitter sandwich process using Soulmate, it would not look the way it should.

That's when I grabbed Fingerpaints Rose Patina, which is a sheer rose with gold shimmer.
It was the closest I could get to Soulmate. Still not the same shade whatsoever but good enough!
For the glitter, I used Wet N Wild's Party of Five Glitters. I heard it's comparable to DL's Happy Birthday, but I don't have that one either LOL soon I will dish for that polish. SOON!

I know, a bottle of Ibuprofen? LOL it was the only thing I had closest to hold at that time to take a photo hahaha.

I finally got off my lazy butt to grab the bottle! You will notice that the lighting in my apartment varies. So the photos aren't exactly fair. This photo shows the gold shimmer in the Rose Patina. But the pink is actually much more pink than these photos. Not so "orangey".

Don't forget to enlarge these photos for details. All my photos are clickable!
I enjoyed this manicure immensely. I will definitely do this again but with a more pastel color.


Here's that orangey tone I spoke of previously. It drives me nuts.



Just a closeup of the "sprinkles" I'm getting a little better with the steady hand! I had practically NO cleanup here!! I think that's triumph. Hopefully I can get this technique down on the vampy colors hehe


Thanks for reading!





Song Currently Playing On This Post:
Afrojack Feat. Eva Simons - Take Over Control

1 comment:

MamaSparkles said...

I love them ALL!!!!!!!